If content does not display, please refresh your browser.
Not a subscriber?
Find out about tailored subscription packages:
T: +44 (0) 20 3377 3792
Horizon Nuclear Power Public Notice
Horizon Nuclear Power Public Notice
Published: 15 January 2018
Horizon Nuclear Power – Public Notice
WYLFA NEWYDD – A NEW NUCLEAR POWER STATION ON ANGLESEY
SECTION 48, PLANNING ACT 2008 – REGULATION 4 INFRASTRUCTURE PLANNING
(APPLICATIONS: PRESCRIBED FORMS AND PROCEDURE) REGULATIONS 2009
PROPOSED APPLICATION FOR DEVELOPMENT CONSENT FOR THE WYLFA NEWYDD PROJECT
Please send any comments in response to this notice by 16 February 2018.
1. Notice is hereby given that Horizon Nuclear Power Wylfa Limited (the “Applicant”) of Sunrise House 1420 Charlton
Court, Gloucester Business Park, Gloucester, GL3 4AE proposes to apply to the Secretary of State under s37 of the
Planning Act 2008 for an order granting development consent (“DCO”) for the construction, operation and
maintenance of a new nuclear power station and other development, at Wylfa, Anglesey (“Wylfa Newydd Project”).
2. The Applicant is part of the Horizon Nuclear Power Limited group of companies and is wholly owned by Hitachi,
Limited, the headquarters of which is in Tokyo, Japan.
3. The application for the Wylfa Newydd Project is anticipated to be submitted in the first half of 2018.
4. The Wylfa Newydd Project is a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project for the purposes of the Planning Act
2008 and requires development consent under that Act. Horizon proposes to apply for a DCO for the Wylfa Newydd
Project which would include the following principal elements:
• Power Station: the proposed new nuclear power station, including two UK Advanced Boiling Water
Reactors (UK ABWRs) to be supplied by Hitachi-GE Nuclear Energy Ltd., supporting facilities, buildings,
plant and structures, and radioactive waste and spent fuel storage buildings;
• Other on-site development: including landscape works and planting, drainage, surface water
management systems, public access works including temporary and permanent closures and diversions
of public rights of way, new Power Station Access Road and internal site roads, car parking, construction
compounds and temporary parking areas, laydown areas, working areas and temporary works and
structures, temporary construction viewing area, diversion of utilities, perimeter and construction
• Marine Works comprising:
- Permanent Marine Works: the Cooling Water System, Cooling Water System intake and outfall,
Marine Off-Loading Facility (MOLF), breakwater structures, shore protection works, surface water
drainage outfalls, fish recovery and return system, fish deterrent system, navigation aids and
- Temporary Marine Works: temporary cofferdams, a temporary access ramp, navigation aids,
temporary outfalls and a temporary barge berth;
• Off-site Power Station Facilities: comprising the Alternative Emergency Control Centre (AECC),
Environmental Survey Laboratory (ESL) and a Mobile Emergency Equipment Garage (MEEG);
• Associated Development: the Site Campus; temporary Park and Ride facility at Dalar Hir for
construction workers (Park and Ride); temporary Logistics Centre at Parc Cybi (Logistics Centre); and
A5025 Off-line Highway Improvements.
5. Horizon has submitted applications for planning permission under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 for
the following which support, but which will not form part of, the DCO application:
(a) Site Preparation and Clearance works; and
(b) Online highways improvements on the A5025.
6. Horizon also intends to bring forward applications for planning permission under the Town and Country Planning
Act 1990 for works which support, but which will not form part of, the DCO application. These include applications
(a) A visitor and media reception centre
(b) Other related and enabling works as needed to support delivery of the Project
7. The proposed DCO will also seek various other powers including provisions permitting the compulsory acquisition
of interests and rights in land, the temporary use of land, interference with rights and the closure or diversion of
streets and other public rights of way including the permanent closure of Cemlyn Road.
8. The proposed development is “EIA development” for the purposes of the Infrastructure Planning (Environmental
Impact Assessment) Regulations 2009. An environmental impact assessment is being carried out and an
environmental statement will be submitted with the proposed application. The environmental statement will provide
a detailed description of the Project and its likely significant environmental effects.
9. In accordance with Regulation 10 of the Infrastructure Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) Regulations
2009 the Applicant has previously made Preliminary Environmental Information (PEI) available together with a nontechnical
summary of that information (as part of its Stage One, Stage Two and Stage Three pre-application
consultations). This PEI is supplemented by the updated environmental information presented in the documents
associated with the Consultation on Additional Land.
10. The existing Statement of Community Consultation (“SOCC”) explains how this Consultation on Additional Land
will be undertaken in respect of the Wylfa Newydd Project.
11. The documents which support this Consultation on Additional Land comprise:
(a) A Consultation Overview Document (available in English and Welsh)
(b) A Main Consultation Document
12. Reference copies of these documents showing the nature and location of the Wylfa Newydd Project and the
additional land requirements are available for viewing free of charge at the library locations listed in this notice.
Copying facilities where available at these libraries cost 15p (A4) and 30p (A3) in Anglesey, 20p (A4) and £1 (A3) in
Gwynedd, and 60p (A4) and £1 (A3) in Conwy.
13. Copies of Consultation on Additional Land documents and previous consultation documents are available to
view and to download from www.horizonnuclearpower.com/consultation and will also be made available on request
on a digital storage device at no charge. Printed copies of all Consultation on Additional Land documents and plans
are available upon reasonable request.
14. As part of our community consultation, events are taking place between 16 January and 16 February 2018 at:
Amlwch, Bangor, Cemaes, Conwy, Llanfachraeth, Llangefni and Valley. These events are being widely advertised and
further details are available from our website (details below).
15. You will be able to submit comments electronically or by post during the 31 day consultation period by:
(a) Emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
(b) Writing to us at our freepost address FREEPOST WYLFA NEWYDD
16. Your comments should arrive with us no later than 16 February 2018. Please make sure that any response
indicates who is making the response and includes an address and post code to which any correspondence relating to
it may be sent.
17. Personal information that is supplied to Horizon in response to this Consultation on Additional Land will be
processed in strict accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
LIBRARIES IN ANGLESEY
Lôn Parys, Amlwch LL68 9EA
T: 01407 830145
Tues: 9:30am-12:30pm; 2pm-5pm
David Hughes Community Centre,
Beaumaris LL58 8AL
T: 01248 810659
Fri: 10am-1pm; 2pm-5pm
Bangor Road, Benllech LL74 8QJ
T: 01248 852348
Wed: 10am-12pm; 2pm-4pm
Glascoed Road, Cemaes LL67 0HN
T: 01407 711025
Newry Fields, Holyhead LL65 1LA
T: 01407 762917
Lôn y Felin, Llangefni LL77 7RT
T: 01248 752095
Menai Bridge Library
Wood Street, Menai Bridge LL59 5AS
T: 01248 712706
Y Ganolfan, Moelfre LL72 8HA
T: 01248 410331
Prichard Jones Institute, Newborough
T: 01248 440770
High Street, Rhosneigr LL64 5UX
T: 01407 811293
LIBRARIES IN CONWY AND
Market Street, Abergele LL22 7BP
T: 01492 577505
Gwynedd Road, Bangor LL57 1DT
T: 01248 353479
Coetmor Road, Bethesda LL57 3DP
T: 01248 600737
Fri: 10am-12pm; 2pm-6pm
Blaenau Ffestiniog Library
Blaenau Ffestiniog LL41 3DL
T: 01766 830415
Mon: 10am-1pm; 2pm-6pm
Wed: 10am-1pm; 2pm-6:30pm
Fri: 10am-1pm; 2pm-6pm
Pavilion Hill, Caernarfon LL55 1AS
T: 01286 679463 / 679465
Colwyn Bay Library
Woodland Road West,
Colwyn Bay LL29 7DH
T: 01492 577510
Civic Hall, Conwy LL32 8AY
T: 01492 576089
Sat: 9:30am -12:30pm
Mostyn Street, Llandudno LL30 2RP
T: 01492 574010
Plas yn Dre, Station Road, Llanrwst
T: 01492 577545
Rhôdfa’r Môr, Nefyn LL53 6EB
T: 01758 720873
Dyffryn Nantlle Technology Centre,
Heol y Dŵr, Penygroes LL54 6LR
T: 01286 880427
Mon: 1pm- 5pm
Wed: 1pm- 5pm
Chapel Street, Porthmadog LL49 9BT
T: 01766 514091
Mon: 10am-12:30pm; 2pm-6pm
Tues: 10am-12:30pm; 2pm-6pm
Wed: 10am-12:30pm; 2pm-6pm
Fri: 10am-12:30pm; 2pm-6pm
Isle of Anglesey County
Anglesey Business Centre
Bryn Cefni Business Park
Castle Street, Caernarfon
Conwy County Borough Council
All set! This article has been sent to email@example.com.
All fields are required. For multiple recipients, separate email addresses with a semicolon.
Please Note: Only individuals with an active subscription will be able to access the full article. All other readers will be directed to the abstract and would need to subscribe.