Charleston port terminal given all-clear over 'suspect container' on Maersk boxship
Update: US authorities say there is no longer any threat posed to port
THE US Coast Guard says there is no longer any threat posed to the port of Charleston by suspect containers on board a Maersk boxship.
However, at around 0400 hrs local time the US Coast Guard provided an update via its Twitter page stating that four suspect containers had been scanned and cleared by the authorities. The original reporting source of the "threat" has been detained by authorities for further questioning, it added.
Port officials were alerted to the issue at around 2000 hrs on Wednesday.
The US Coast Guard said that the vessel was moored at Charleston’s Wando terminal, which was evacuated while law enforcement units from federal, state and local law enforcement agencies investigated the threat.
A one nautical mile safety zone was also put in place to cordon off the vessel while law enforcement authorities carried out checks, according to South Carolina Ports Authority, which operates the facilities at Charleston.
Lloyd's List is awaiting comment from Maersk Line.